For all those of you hanging out at Z!’s Big Birthday Bash, here is the cupcake recipe featured on pages 14-15 in the HAPPY BIRTHDAY ‘12 issue. A big thanks goes to Jesse, Age 12 of Coquitlam, BC who submitted the recipe. Please have a parent assist you in the kitchen!
1) Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Get out a muffin pan and fill the spots with paper liners (or spray them with vegetable oil). Set aside.
2) In a mixing bowl, beat 1/2 cup shortening and 2 cups of sugar together.
3) Get 4 ounces of baking chocolate (equivalent to 4 squares) and warm in the microwave for 15-20 seconds until it starts melting. Take it out, give it a stir and continue melting it slowly and stirring it until it is nice and smooth. Be careful, if you heat it too long at one time it will burn.
4) Slowly add the melted chocolate into the shortening and sugar mixture. Beat until smooth.
5) Next, crack 2 large eggs one at a time into a small bowl, be sure there are no egg shells. Add 1 tsp of vanilla to the eggs and beat all together. Then add to the shortening mixture and beat in.
6) In a separate bowl, whisk together 2 cups of flour and 1/2 tsp of baking soda. Set aside.
7) In a small bowl, measure out 3/4 cups of water and 3/4 cups of milk. Stir together.
Then, alternating between the flour ingredients and the liquid, gradually mix both into the butter mixture. Mix until nice and smooth.
9) Use a large spoon to place the cupcake batter into the liners. Fill about 2/3′rd full so they have room to rise. Depending what size of liners you used, you may have extra batter for another pan.
11) When the oven is hot, place the pan in the center of the oven on the middle rack. Bake for 20-25 minutes, depending on the size of your cupcakes. Check if they are done by poking one with a butter knife or toothpick in the center. If it comes out with no wet batter on it, they are ready. Otherwise, put back in the over for a few more minutes.
12) When they are done, cool them on a rack. They need to be right room temperature before you can ice them. When you are done cooking, remember to turn off the oven. While the cupcaskes are cooling, make your favorite icing. Any questions, just make a comment to this blog. You can also leave a comment and tell us how they turned out!